Monday, August 24, 2009

Why?

I have been called crazy by many self assumed nomal people for doing the cross country ride and the triathlon afterwards. Others have stated that it is amazing, awesome, and that they would like to do it. Some talk as if I am the first person to ever ride cross country or do a tri. There are thousands though who do it, I saw over a hundred on my ride. As for the tri, Timberman had loads of athletes of all ages, 45 my age group, and probably 150plus on my swim wave of men 50 and older. So, why?
Ten years ago I rode my bike into the new millenium and wanted to ride more, across the nation.
Twenty years ago I rode the Markleeville Death Ride and wanted to ride more mountain passes.
Thirty years ago I started working in Las Vegas and have commuted every day since. On the last day of school of that first year I decided that I would ride across country when I had worked for 30 years.
Forty years ago I graduated from Menlo Atherton (I rode my bike most of the time) and left the Bay Area, where I rode Sand Hill, Alpine, Page Mill roads to Woodside and Portola Valley and beyond to San Gregorio beach. I went to BYU with my Peugeot, then to Germany and rode a bike my entire mission ( some poor Elders had to drive cars).
Fifty years ago I received my first bike for Christmas, a green Schwinn cruiser with balloon tires that I learned to ride past the neighbor's house over to Hillview school and I wanted to ride more, to ride farther, to ride higher, to ride cross the country.
Now fifty years later I have and I still want to ride more.
Remember...always...swim happy, ride happy, run happy...be happy:)

2 comments:

  1. Dad, you're an inspiration to me. I remember you talking about riding your bike across the country when I was a little girl. I am so proud of you for accomplishing one of your dreams! I hope that I can be as hard core in all areas of my life as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definately don't assume myself to be normal. But i still think you're crazy. I gave a talk in church a few weeks back and i used an excerpt from The Poem is a Song. Your physical feats, though they are exceptional, are not as impressive to me as are you're words. You 'bout made me tear up talkin about balloon tires. Now hurry home young man, yous gots some coachin to help out with...

    ReplyDelete